Thursday, February 3, 2022

Open Letter To Oskar Deutsch : DENYING A MOTHER TO HER BABIES IS NOT RIGHT

 


o.deutsch@ikg-wien.at

office@ikg-wien.at

Dear Mr Deutsch,

By now I am sure you are aware your inbox is full to the brim of letters for justice for Benjy and Sammy.

I have known Beth since our time at King David High School and we have remained firm friends since. Many people marry and divorce; however at the centre of it all should be how to safeguard children if they are involved. For me safeguarding has gone out the window in this case. The poor boys have been used as pawns. 

Let me tell you about Beth; something the authorities have failed to do. Beth grew up in Manchester in an orthodox family with two brothers, Graeme and Adrian. Beth is softly spoken and caring. She has always taken pride in her Jewish roots, becoming a Madricha at Bnei Akiva. Beth would go above and beyond to help anyone who needed her help.

She met Mr Schlesinger at a European Jewish Event and they hit it off and so their relationship developed. As a friend, I was very happy for her. She had everything going for her as she was also studying at Cambridge. When she announced her engagement, I was so happy. I knew she would relocate to Vienna and it would be tough due to the language barrier, but I knew it would be Vienna's gain.

Beth never discussed her pregnancy but when I found out, I could not have been happier. I could tell she was very excited and with twins! It brought a smile to my face as I had just found out my sister was pregnant with twins. 

In late 2009,  I decided to throw my sister a baby shower and when I found out Beth was over with Sammy and Benji, she was invited. I'm bringing this up because during the baby shower, I noticed Beth was not her usual self. Her eyes were sad and I could tell her mind was elsewhere. Little did I know what had happened in Vienna. It was only months later when Beth and family members confided in me the true horror.  

On that very visit where she came to my sister's baby shower, she was introducing her sweet baby boys to their uncles, cousins and friends; those who she had not seen for long periods of time. They were catching up and spending quality time together. Mr Schlesinger was not present but threatened Beth to bring the boys back to Vienna immediately otherwise he would contact the authorities and claim that she had kidnapped them. Even though he had agreed to the visit at the suggestion of heir marriage counsellor! I can only imagine Beth's heart break. 

I later found out other controlling and abusive behaviour that took place after the twins were born; notably Mr Schlesinger making Beth walk the streets for hours on end with the twins in Vienna in the height of summer as he said he needed to sleep when he came home from work at lunch times and the babies disturbed his sleep. Only after he gave her permission to return, was she "allowed" to bring  the twins home. I do not want to think what would have happened if she returned early. There are many other issues that I am sure you are aware of. 

The last point I want to make is regarding the Get. Mr Schlesinger told Rabbi Biderman that he would only grant a get subject to Beth agreeing to certain conditions, including waiving her right to custody, something which of course Beth would never have agreed to. This is coming from a person who had shown up until that point no paternal instinct. I am aware of 'Agunah' - being a 'chained wife'. I know the past few years the orthodox community are trying to put an end to this abuse. In fact it is abuse! Just imagine using that and the children as a weapon! You as a human being, Mr Deutsch, know that is not right. Denying a mother to her babies is not right by any stretch of the imagination.

In January 2023, my twin nephews are being bar mitzvah-ed and of course I will be there. It really pains me to see Beth alienated from her boys through no fault of her own. It pains me to think of all the false information being fed to the boys.

Please help bring Beth back to her boys. Let them form a relationship with her again.

If you want to get in touch please do not hesitate.


Kind Regards

Lauren Goldstone

No comments:

Post a Comment