Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Open Letter To Oskar Deutsch : IT IS UP TO YOU TO MAKE IT HAPPEN

 


o.deutsch@ikg-wien.at

office@ikg-wien.at

Dear Herr Deutsch,

You have by now received an avalanche of letters from those of us supporting Beth Alexander in her fight to be reunited with her young sons. I am adding my voice to the thousands who cannot begin to understand how this terrible miscarriage of justice has been allowed to continue, with the Vienna Jewish community at best turning a blind eye, at worst condoning this situation. 

I first met Beth at a mutual family wedding, when the boys had not long since been horrifically snatched from her. It shouldn’t have to be said how kind, caring, bright and determined she is – but I’m saying it anyway because it is not even remotely conceivable to think there is anything about her that warrants removing her children from her care. (My daughter worked with a child whose father was in prison for murder and even he was allowed visits with his children!) 

As a mother of four I can’t begin to imagine the torture of having my children taken from me. How the community and legal system have brought this about is shocking and to be honest, frightening. It was a terrible story then – I am utterly appalled that all these years later it is actually even worse.

I don’t know the workings of the Vienna community, but this case is a terrible terrible stain on your reputation. "Tzedek tzedek tirdof" – our rabbis say that whoever pursues justice, trying to bring about justice as soon as possible, it is counted as double. You have an opportunity here to perform one of the greatest mitzvot. As the head of the community it falls to you to lead the way in restoring justice for Beth and reuniting her with her beloved sons. I don’t know what it will take but it is up to you to make it happen, and thousands of us in communities around the world will support you in doing so.


Wishing you strength and courage to do the right thing,


All the best

Kate Gerstler


No comments:

Post a Comment